Friday, May 14, 2021

Meghan Trainor – "Genetics" (2020)


My DNA is graded A

You see this face? 

I was born with it



According to Henry Ford, “Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty.  Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”


Actually, Henry Ford didn’t say that.  There are dozens, perhaps hundreds of websites that attribute that quote to Ford – but I’ve been unable to verify that he ever spoke those words.


And even if Ford did say that, he’s full of sh*t.  I’ve never stopped learning.  But it’s nonsense to say that it’s kept me young – I’m old as hell, and there’s no use pretending otherwise. 


*     *     *     *     *


Nevertheless, I love to learn – and I spend a good deal of my time doing just that.


One thing I’ve learned is that you can pick up new things from the most unexpected places.  To wit, from the genetic testing company, 23andMe.


Among the things I’ve learned from 23andMe is that not everyone’s pee smells funny after they eat asparagus.


Actually, that statement isn’t completely accurate.  As I understand it, asparagus affects the smells of everyone’s urine.  But some noses don’t detect that smell because of genetics.


Based on my DNA, 23andMe told me that there was an 81% chance that I would notice the distinctive odor that asparagus produces in urine.


23andMe hit that one out of the park: I definitely notice that odd smell whenever I eat asparagus.  Frankly, I’d just as soon not be able to detect that odor, but you can’t change your DNA.


*     *     *     *     *


It turns out that 23andMe knows a lot about me based on my DNA.


For example, 23andMe says that there is a 70% chance I prefer chocolate to vanilla ice cream.  I like vanilla ice cream as much as the next guy, but I would never choose it over chocolate.  So chalk up another one for the folks at 23andMe.


Also, 23andMe also says that it’s more likely that I prefer salty snacks than sweet ones, but only by a 51% to 49% margin – essentially, it’s a genetic coin flip.  


To be honest, I can’t say whether I prefer salty or sweet snacks.  I like ‘em both – I’d say it’s six of one, half a dozen of the other.  So 23andMe pretty much nailed that one as well.


*     *     *     *     *


“Genetics” was released last on Meghan Trainor’s third studio album, Treat Myself:


Click here to listen to “Genetics.”


Click on the link below to buy the song from Amazon:


No comments:

Post a Comment