Sunday, November 1, 2009

What? Who? WHY?



What? My posts to "2 or 3 Lines" will always start with 2 or 3 lines from a song that you should know about but may not -- followed by a lot of miscellaneous stuff (that's the "and so much more" part), which may be related to that song or may not be. The time period will range from the mid-1960's (when I hit puberty) to now. Consecutive posts will usually cover songs that are at least 5 years apart, and preferably 10 years apart, but not always. There's probably going to be more stuff from the late 60's and 70's than from the last few years, but the were will be quite a bit about music from the last decade as well. 

Of course, I reserve the right to break my own rules at any time -- e.g., I may quote not just 2 or 3 lines, but 4 or even 5 -- or a lot more. The posts may be long or short or in-between, depending on the song itself, its historical or cultural significance (if any), and its significance to me. Be prepared to read about what was going on in my life when the song was released, why I like it or think it is worthy of discussion, blah blah blah.

Who? Who I am and how I became what I am today is very relevant to the songs I've chosen to feature on this blog, but I'm not going to give you any kind of biography here. This blog is more about the music than it is about me. Of course, you'll learn things about me from the posts, and I'm happy to respond to e-mails or comments if you want to know more. (Here are a few basic facts: I'm very good-looking, smart, and speak several languages without a trace of an accent. I don't always drink beer -- but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.)

WHY? Good question. I'm not really sure -- if I had a shrink, he or she might know. For one thing, there's a lot of music out there that has been forgotten or was never discovered in the first place -- I'm still stumbling across great songs from the 60's and 70's that I somehow missed -- and you need to know about them! 

For another thing, I like to write and I especially like to write about myself, and as you'll see, there's a lot about me here. (And forget about what I said above under "Who?" -- this blog is more about me than it is about the music.)

A word from our sponsors. At the end of each post, you'll find an Amazon link so you can also buy it if you like. (I'll make some money if you decide to do that.)  Where possible, I've included links to YouTube videos or other links to the entire song, live versions of that song, cover versions of that song, or anything else may I stumble across.


2 comments:

  1. I just stumbled on your blog while looking for Coolio's picture for my blog and I have read a few of your posts! You started in 2009, Wooow! I just started and I am already struggling to keep at it. Your sense of humor rocks by the way. I'm going to be following you. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stumbled upon this blog while perusing B-52s pix but the mention of The Last roped me in - coincidentally, Joe Nolte was my high-school sweetie [he was 7 years older], and one of the 2 loves of my life... and so obscure ...
    Are you a man or a woman? I'm guessing woman for now.

    ReplyDelete