Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Peter Murphy – "Cuts You Up" (1990)


It takes you in and spits you out

It spits you out when you desire

To conquer it, to feel you’re higher


I recently received the following query from a sharp-eyed 2 or 3 lines reader:


You said that this February’s “29 Posts in 29 Days” would have twelve posts.  (I don’t get why there weren’t 29 posts in February given the “29 Posts in 29 Days” title, but I’m not going to get into that today.). But  there were only eleven posts in February – not twelve as promised.  What’s the deal-i-o with that?


She has a point . . . there were only eleven posts in February.


I could fix that by simply putting a February date on this post instead of the March date when I actually wrote it.  WOULD THAT MAKE YOU HAPPY? 


*     *     *     *     *


I’ve been bitten by the Swedish death cleaning bug, so I recently threw away a bunch of old cassette tapes.  


I could have tossed them a long time ago because it’s been years since I’ve had a working tape deck.  But that’s not the way that 2 or 3 lines rolls – when it comes to throwing stuff away, I’m not someone who makes snap decisions. 


Most of tapes I threw away were homemade ones that dated back to the seventies and eighties.  My habit back then was to tape each new record album I bought and play the tape – not the LP – when I wanted to listen to it.  That way, my records didn’t get all worn and scratchy.


Occasionally, I also would record music off a local FM radio station.  If I happened to grab something that I liked, I could replay the song as often as I wanted without spending my hard-earned dough on the record.  If I didn’t like the music that I captured, I would simply record over them.


One of the decades-old tapes I recently threw away kicked off with “Bigmouth Strikes Again” by the Smiths, and then segued smoothly into Peter Murphy’s “Cuts You Up.”


I don’t remember what else was on that tape, possibly because I liked those two tracks so much that I would simply rewind back to the beginning of “Bigmouth Strikes Again” every time I got to the end of “Cuts You Up.”


*     *     *     *     * 


I know nothing about Peter Murphy except that “Cuts You Up” is a m-o-n-e-y record. 


I’d like to keep it that way.  Sure, I could saddle up Google and find a bunch of stuff about Peter Murphy – but so could you, boys and girls.  (Am I right about that, or am I right?)


Click here to listen to today’s featured record, which was released in 1990 on Peter Murphy’s third studio album, Deep.


Click here if you’d like to buy the recording from Amazon.


No comments:

Post a Comment