Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Otis Redding – "Love Man" (1969)


I'm six-feet-one, weigh two-hundred-and-ten

Long hair, real fair skin

I’m long-legged and I’m outta sight



The rumor is true – Otis Redding did, in fact, write “Love Man” about little ol' moi!


His numbers are a little bit off.  I’m actually a little taller than six-feet-one, and I weigh closer to 200 than 210.


But Redding’s numbers are close enough for government work (as I used to say when I worked for the government).


He’s a “Love Man,” too!

And the rest of the song’s description – “outta sight,” etc. – is just spot on, boys and girls.


*     *     *     *     *


“Love Man” was released on the album of the same name about 18 months after Redding and six others died in a plane crash on December 10, 1967 while en route to Madison, WI.  It was the third of four posthumous albums released between 1968 and 1970 that featured tracks recorded in 1967.


“Love Man” is one of the many records I might have never heard were it not for the Sirius/XM “Underground Garage” channel.


Click here to listen to “Love Man.”


Click below to buy the song from Amazon:


No comments:

Post a Comment