Friday, January 3, 2020

Rousers – "Nice & Friendly People" (1980)

The way people make me do the things
I really don’t want to do
Don’t want to do
DON’T WANT TO DO! 

Sanford and Son was a bad TV series.  (Today it would be viewed as not only bad, but also offensive.)

But Fred Sanford was a wise man, as this meme demonstrates:


All you parents, teachers, bosses, wives, and girlfriends who need a really good New Year’s resolution for 2020 could do worse than to follow Fred Sanford’s advice.

(That would be a good New Year’s resolution for 2021 as well.  And for 2022.  And for . . . well, you get the picture.)

*     *     *     *     *

I know you think you’re doing me a favor by getting all up in my business and giving me a lot of unsolicited advice, but you’re not.  (Trust me.)

The singer of today’s featured song – an office clerk who “used to be a bright kid” but now is “just a misfit” – knows that even well-intentioned folks need to mind their own beeswax:

Although they are nice and friendly
They have got to let me live my life!

That should be as plain as the nose on your face, but there are a lot of people in my life who just don’t get it.  (If you think you might be one of those people, YOU ARE!)

*     *     *     *     *

Like the two Rousers songs featured in the two previous 2 or 3 lines posts, you best believe “Nice & Friendly People” is a stick of dynamite.

For the life of me, I don’t understand why the Rousers weren’t a bigger success.  They were a Dutch group, so maybe it’s not that surprising that they didn’t do well in the UK or the U.S.  But why didn’t the Dutch buy their records?


If Steven Lorber wasn’t the only American DJ to appreciate the Rousers, he’s the only one I know about.  He played a number of Rousers tracks on his “Mystic Eyes” show on WHFS back in 1980.  Otherwise, I would have never heard of the band – and neither would have you.

Click here to listen to “Nice & Friendly People.”  (That video – which was posted in May 2017, and is the only video of the song I’ve been able to find online – had attracted all of 67 views before I put a link to it in this post. )


No comments:

Post a Comment