Friday, November 15, 2019

Mazzy Star – "Fade Into You" (1993)


I look to you
To see the truth

[NOTE: In this fifth and final (finally!) installment of our interview of 2 or 3 lines, 2 or 3 lines reveals what you can expect from everyone's favorite little pop music blog in the year to come.]

*     *     *     *     *

2 or 3 lines: I understand you have some big plans for the blog’s 11th year.

2 or 3 lines:  That’s a fact, Jack!  Starting with this interview of myself, which is unprecedented.


Q: Assuming that this interview ever ends, what can we look forward to next?

A: I’ve interviewed a number of musicians for 2 or 3 lines – Chris Wilson (frontman of the Flamin’ Groovies), Joe Scott (the brilliant arranger behind the Arbors’ cover of “The Letter”), Diane Quinn (Tru Fax and the Insaniacs) and the multitalented Niagara (Destroy All Monsters and Dark Carnival), just to name a few.  I think those interviews represent the very best of 2 or 3 lines, and I want to do interviews more frequently in the future.  So after we finish with my interview of myself, you’ll be treated to an interview of Steven Lorber – the DJ behind the legendary “Mystic Eyes” radio show.  

Q: To circle back for a minute, the music that Steven played on “Mystic Eyes” – in particular, The Last’s “She Don’t Know Why I’m Here” – was the inspiration for 2 or 3 lines.
  
A:  After the Lorber interview, I’m going to feature a number of the other songs from all those “Mystic Eyes” shows that I recorded on cassette tapes in 1980.  I’ve recently gone through all those all tapes, and the experience was a revelation.  There was so much great music on those tapes – music that I might have never heard if it weren’t for Steven Lorber.  I could easily do a year’s worth of posts featuring only great songs from those tapes, most of which would be new for the vast majority of 2 or 3 lines readers.  

Q: Is that the plan?

A:  Not exactly.  Starting with the next 2 or 3 lines, it’s going to be “Mystic Eyes” songs for the rest of November and all of December and January.  As those who read 2 or 3 lines regularly know, I post every single day in February – and twice on SuperBowl Sunday.  

Q:  This year is a leap year, so can we expect “30 Posts in 29 Days”?

A:  I may decide to skip the post featuring a song by the SuperBowl halftime performer and give you “29 Posts in 29 Days.”  I’m not sure yet if I’m going to bother featuring a Jennifer Lopez or Shakira song.

Q:  Have you decided on the “29 Posts in 29 Days” theme yet?

A:  I have.  This year’s theme is going to be underrated and overrated artists – the odd-numbered dates will feature songs by underrated artists, and the even-numbered dates will feature songs by overrated artists.  


Q:  Oooooh, I smell controversy!  Some of your readers are going to be bitter when you opine that some of their favorites are overrated.

A:  If they can’t handle the truth, that’s their problem – not mine.

Q:  Then what?

A:  After February, I’m going to go back to “Mystic Eyes” songs until I run out of great ones.  I’m guessing that will carry us through March, April, and May.  In June and July, I’ll announce the new inductees into the 2020 2 OR 3 LINES “GOLDEN DECADE” HIT SINGLES HALL OF FAME and the 2 OR 3 LINES “GOLDEN DECADE” ALBUM TRACKS HALL OF FAME – and because this is a very special year for 2 or 3 lines, August will be devoted to the music of the first group of inductees into a brand-new 2 or 3 lines “GOLDEN DECADE” hall of fame.  Stay tuned, bubelah! 

Q:  It sounds like 2 or 3 lines will be focusing on music – not you – over the next year. 

A:  That’s the plan.  Of course, a famous general once said, “No plan survives contact with the enemy.”  We’ll see if my plan does any better.   

Q:  Anything else up your sleeve, Great Wizard?

A:  Actually, yes.  I talked earlier about why I cut back from doing three posts a week to two.  I’m going to make up for that by cleaning up some of the more notable 2 or 3 lines posts from past years and reposting one each week.  I know there are a lot of people who came a little late to the 2 or 3 lines party, so those posts will be new to them.  Since a lot of my older posts are in desperate need of a makeover, I’ll be killing two birds with one stone. 


*     *     *     *     *

2 or 3 lines:  I have to say that today’s featured song is something of a surprise.  I didn’t think you were a fan of nineties indie music with breathy female vocalists.  “Fade Into You” sounds more like something a teenage girl with a crush on a guy who doesn’t know she exists would like, but not something you’d be into.

2 or 3 lines:  You know what they say – never ASSUME, because when you ASSUME, you make an ASS out of U and ME.  

Hope Sandoval of Mazzy Star
Q:  Where did you first hear “Fade Into You”?

A:  I have no idea.  It’s on the American Honey soundtrack, so maybe that’s where I first heard it.  I don’t know any of Mazzy Star’s other songs.  All I know is that song absolutely paralyzes me.  I should probably be embarrassed to admit that, but I’m not.

Q:  You often choose to feature a particular song in order to send a message.  Is “Fade Into You” intended to send a message?

A:   I suppose.

Q:  And that message is?

A:  That you don’t know 2 or 3 lines – not really.  Most of the music featured on 2 or 3 lines isn’t all that surprising.  But sometimes I surprise you.  Sometimes I surprise myself.

Click here to listen to “Fade Into You.”

You can use the link below to buy the song from Amazon:

No comments:

Post a Comment