Friday, May 17, 2019

Raconteurs – "Steady As She Goes" (2006)


Find yourself a girl and settle down
Live a simple life in a quiet town

Here’s a transcript of my conversation with my mother today (which is typical of my conversations with her on other days, too):

Me: Good morning!  How are you?  It’s a beautiful day today – you should sit outside after lunch.

Her (after a long pause): I can’t hear a word you say.


I checked to make sure her hearing aids were in her ears – they were.  Then I checked to see if I needed to buy toilet paper, adult diapers, or other supplies for her.  Then I spent a few minutes looking on my phone for any new photos of my grandkids to share with her.  By then, it was almost 1100a – time for me to drag her to the group exercise class at her assisted living facility.

Me: It’s about time to go to exercise.  I’ve got your keys.

Her:  . . . .


Me (standing in her doorway, holding her keys):  Ready to go to exercise?  We should go now so we’ll get a seat.

Her (under her breath): Sh*t.

Me:  Ready to go?  I’ve got your keys.

Her (under her breath): Sh*t.


Eventually she got up and we walked down a long hallway to where the exercise class is held.

Her (as we walked): Sh*t . . . sh*t . . . sh*t.

I had never heard my mother – who is 93 years old – utter that word until about a year ago.  Now she says it – mutters it may be more accurate – every time I see her.


Her (when we get close enough to see which of the facility’s physical therapists is leading the exercise class that day):  It’s that fat girl. . . . Sh*t.

*     *     *     *     *
“Steady As She Goes” was the first single from the Raconteurs’ 2006 debut album, Broken Boy Soldiers.  It made it all the way to #1 on the Billboard “Alternative Songs” chart.


The Raconteurs’ third studio album, Help Us Stranger, is scheduled to be released next month.

Click here to listen to “Steady As She Goes.”

Click on the link below to buy the song from Amazon:

No comments:

Post a Comment