Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Animals – "House of the Rising Sun" (1964)


There is a house in New Orleans 
They call “The Rising Sun” 
It’s been the ruin of many a poor boy 

I know, I know . . . it’s been less than a year since 2 or 3 lines previously featured “House of the Rising Sun.”

I rarely feature the same song twice on 2 or 3 lines.  (I’ll never get to all the good songs that are out there, but I want to get to as many as I can.)

But I have two good reasons for doubling down on “House of the Rising Sun.”

Hilton Valentine
First, today is the 76th birthday of Hilton Stewart Paterson Valentine, the original Animals guitarist.  His inimitable arpeggios – played on the Gretsch Tennessean guitar he had bought in Newcastle in 1962 – are as responsible as Eric Burdon’s vocals and Alan Price’s Vox Continental organ for making “House of the Rising Sun” the absolutely brilliant record that it is.

Two, it’s time to name the second group of inductees into the 2 OR 3 LINES “GOLDEN DECADE” HIT SINGLES HALL OF FAME.  “House of the Rising Sun” was a ne plus ultra member of the inaugural group of inductees, and it’s fitting that we once again pay tribute to it before announcing the eleven all-time great records that will be immortalized by 2 or 3 lines this year.

*     *     *     *     *


Without further ado, how about a standing ovation for this year’s choices for the 2 OR 3 LINES “GOLDEN DECADE” HIT SINGLES HALL OF FAME:

1.  Four Seasons – “Rag Doll” (1964)

2.  Beatles – “Eight Days a Week” (1965)

3.  Rolling Stones – “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” (1965)

4.  Animals – “It’s My Life” (1965)

5.  ? and the Mysterians – “96 Tears” (1966)

6.  Supremes – “You Keep Me Hangin’ On” (1966)

7.  Turtles – “Happy Together” (1967)

8.  Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell – “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” (1967)

9.  Door – “Light My Fire” (1967)

10.  Deep Purple – “Hush” (1968)

11.  The Crazy World of Arthur Brown – “Fire” (1968)

*     *     *     *     *

Click here to listen to a real musical stick of dynamite – the one, the only “House of the Rising Sun.”  (I will NEVER get tired of this record.)

Click below to buy the song from Amazon:

No comments:

Post a Comment