Sunday, December 29, 2013

Goldfinger -- "Here in Your Bedroom" (1996)


When I wake up tomorrow
Will you have changed?
'Cause I still feel the same

I would have featured this song on 2 or 3 lines long before now except that I was sure that I had already featured this song on 2 or 3 lines long before now.  Does that make sense?

Before you answer, let me rephrase that question.  Does that make sense according to the rather peculiar logic that applies on 2 or 3 lines?

OMG, this is such a fabulous song I don't know what to do with myself!


This blog is ostensibly about song lyrics -- the title is 2 or 3 lines, after all . . . not 2 or 3 notes, or 2 or 3 chords, or 2 or 3 hooks.  But I can deal with blah lyrics if the music is great -- vice versa, not so much.

There's not a lot to the lyrics of this song.  The singer is a guy who is lying in bed with a woman, wondering what she is thinking about and how she will feel about him tomorrow.  (In other words, is he going to get any more somethin'-somethin', or did he just drill a dry hole?)

He's not really sure what he thinks about it all either; in fact, he sings (twice), "I don't know what I'm thinking."  However, he is sure that he will feel the same tomorrow.  (Go figure.)

That's pretty much the whole song in terms of lyrics.  There's not much of a narrative to sink your teeth into, and no real poetry to deconstruct.

But the music is (in the words of Allmusic) "irresistibly catchy" and "hopelessly endearing."  (Hey, that sounds a lot like 2 or 3 lines!)


"Here in Your Bedroom" was released on Goldfinger's eponymous debut album in 1996.  (Appearing on an eponymous debut album is neither a necessary nor a sufficient condition for a song to be featured on 2 or 3 lines, but it sure as hell don't hurt.)  That album helped kick off a mini-ska/punk movement in the U.S.

I'm not a big fan of ska generally -- most ska musicians dress kind of stupid, and are very annoying with all their jumping and twitching.  (You'll see what I mean when you watch the music video for this song.)

But the ska elements of "Here in Your Bedroom" -- primarily the drumming style, but also the on-the-upbeat rhythm guitar -- makes this song much more appealing than it would have been without the ska feel.  

It's too early to end this post, but I don't really have anything more to say.  Let me check Wikipedia and see if I can find anything worth mentioning.

Goldfinger lead singer (and animal
rights activist) John Feldman
Hmmmmm . . . hey, here's something.  Lead singer John Feldmann and bass player Simon Williams, who founded the band in 1994, met when they were both working at the same shoe store.  That's pretty interesting, huh?

OK . . . I'm got a plane to catch early in the morning, so that's going to have to do it for now.

But if it will make you happier, I'll drop in this quote from philosopher George Santayana, which I had planned to use in the upcoming 2 or 3 lines, but then decided to cut because it was so pointless:

Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness.  When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual.  Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Got that?  It will make more sense after you read the next 2 or 3 lines.

Let me rephrase that statement.  It will make more sense according to the rather peculiar logic that applies on 2 or 3 lines.

Here's "Here in Your Bedroom":

Here's a link you can use to buy the song from Amazon:

No comments:

Post a Comment