Friday, August 28, 2026

Monty Python – "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" (1979)


You’ll see it’s all a show

Keep ’em laughing as you go

Just remember that the last laugh is on you! 


Most of the schools around here that have a hand-operated message board get a parent to volunteer to maintain it, updating the messages every few days.  But at Damascus High School in Damascus, Maryland, teacher Steve Kachadorian handles that task.


Steve was born in New Jersey, but his family moved to Maryland when he was eight.  He started teaching history at Damascus High School in 1998.  This year, he will teach AP World History and AP European History.


Steve took on the role of faculty sponsor of the school’s drama club since 2007.  A couple of years ago, he asked the PTA if he could use the message board to advertise the dates and times of upcoming school plays.  “When I didn't have a show or concert to advertise,” he told me, “I posted little jokes that were heavy on the puns.” 


Here’s one of his message-board jokes.  (Other examples appear below.)



*     *     *     *     *


Where does Steve get his message-board material?  “Sometimes I just take an old joke I know and revise it so it works on the sign.   Other times I go to the internet and look up dad jokes that play off some theme.  Now and again, I just have a funny thought that I rework to make it work on the sign – or my family and I will brainstorm and something clicks.”


Which of his message-board jokes is Steve’s favorite?  Time Travelers Club Meets on November 5, 1955.  “That one was inspired by a ‘Weekend Update’ joke on Saturday Night Live,” Steve explained.  “I put in that particular date as a tribute to Back to the Future.”


(You can click here to see a Back to the Future clip that explains the significance of that date.)


Steve says that the response to his message-board puns has been positive.  “People have posted on Facebook about it, appreciating the humor.  At school, my students have commented that their parents like it.  Sometimes, when I’m putting up the letters, a passerby will yell something positive.  Overall, it’s been a good thing.”



*     *     *     *     *


Steve sounded like he might be a “class clown” type – you know, one of those people who is always kidding around and trying to get a laugh.  So I asked him to rank himself on a zero to ten scale, where a zero is someone who’s introverted and pretty quiet around other people, while a ten would be someone who plays practical jokes, does card tricks at parties, and generally shows off like crazy. 


 2 or 3 lines loves getting attention, and would be a solid nine on that scale.  But Steve claimed he would be only a six.  “I used to be much more of a jokester in the classroom,” he said, “but I’ve mellowed out.”


Steve describes himself as an avid fan of comedy and comedians.  When he was younger, he frequented the stand-up comedy clubs in the Washington, DC area.  He has taken improv classes, and even done some public improv performing.


Who is his favorite comedian?  “There are a lot of comedians that I enjoy, but I would have to point to the late Harry Anderson as a favorite,” Steve said.  “From his stand-up comedy, to the ‘Harry the Hat’ character on Cheers, to his role as Judge Harry T. Stone on Night Court, I always enjoyed the quick wit, the puns, and his visual humor.”



*     *     *     *     *


When I asked Steve Kachadorian to name the song that he would like me to feature in this post, he chose “Always Look on the Bright Side of Life” from Spamalot.


“I directed Spamalot at Damascus High in 2019,” he told me, “and it was one of my most enjoyable drama experiences.”


“Always Look on the Bright Side of Life” – which was written by Monty Python member Eric Idle – was first featured in the 1979 movie Monty Python’s Life of Brian, where it is sung (and whistled) by a character who is being crucified.


From Wikipedia:


Written in the British music hall tradition, the song touches on stoicism and the "stiff upper lip" spirit in the face of adversity, so often associated with British people.  It became immensely popular, reaching #3 on the UK singles chart in 1991.  Idle performed the song live to a global audience at the 2012 Summer Olympics closing ceremony. . . .


When the destroyer HMS Sheffield was struck by an Exocet anti-ship missile on May 4, 1982 in the Falklands War, her crew sang it while waiting to be rescued from their sinking ship . . .


When [Monty Python member Graham] Chapman died on October 4, 1989, the five remaining Pythons, as well as Chapman's close friends and family, came together at his public memorial service to sing "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" as part of Eric Idle's eulogy.  


In 2005, a survey by Music Choice showed that it was the third-most popular song Britons would like played at their funerals.  By 2014, it was the most popular.


Click here to watch the scene from Monty Python’s Life of Brian that features “Always Look on the Bright Side of Life.”


Click here to buy “Always Look on the Bright Side of Life” from Amazon.  (Any commissions that 2 or 3 lines earns from purchases of that recording will be donated to the Damascus High School Drama Club.)



No comments:

Post a Comment