Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Rage Against the Machine – "Killing in the Name" (1992)


F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!

F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!

F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!

F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!

F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!

F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!

F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!

F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!

F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!

F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!

F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!

F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!

F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!

F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!

F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!

F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!


*     *     *     *     *


The last 2 or 3 lines post – which is dated June 27, 2023 – began by quoting the following lyrics from the Rage Against the Machine record, “Killing in the Name”:


F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!

F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!

F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!

F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!

F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!

F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!

F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!

F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!

F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!

F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!

F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!

F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!


Click here to read that post.


A few days after that post went live, I stumbled across a December 2, 2022 post that quoted the following lyrics from the Rage Against the Machine record, “Killing in the Name”:


F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!

F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!

F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!

F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!

F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!

F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!

F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!

F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!


Click here to read that post.


*     *     *     *     *


Rage Against the Machine frontman Zack de la Rocha actually sings “F*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me!” 16 consecutive times on the record – which is why I typed that line 16 times at the beginning of this post.


When it comes to explaining why I typed it only 12 times at the beginning of the June 27, 2023 post and only eight times at the beginning of the December 2, 2022 post, your guess is as good as mine.


*     *     *     *     *


There’s something else mysterious about those posts.  Why did I post about “Killing in the Name” last week when I had featured it in another post only last December?


When disgraced former Senator Al Franken was just a comedian, he did a bit on Saturday Night Live where he suggested that people who got in trouble for failing to pay their income taxes could get off the hook by telling the IRS “I forgot!”  


That’s the explanation here: I simply forgot about that December 2022 post.


You might suspect that I featured “Killing in the Name” in a 2 or 3 lines post only seven months after featuring that record in another post in order to minimize the time required to write that second post.  But you would be wrong.  


You might also suspect me of featuring the record a third time in order to generate a post with minimal effort.  And you would be right.


*     *     *     *     *


Click here to watch a live Rage Against the Machine performance of  “Killing in the Name” in 1993. 


No comments:

Post a Comment