Friday, August 13, 2021

K. Flay – "Can't Sleep" (2014)


My mother told me that

The world has got its plans

I wanna hold ‘em till they

Burn right through my hands



I had planned to write about the first of this year’s inductees into the 2 OR 3 LINES “GOLDEN DECADE” ALBUM TRACKS HALL OF FAME today, but then I got the following anonymous e-mail from someone who is obviously a yuge fan of 2 or 3 lines (despite what he says):


I’m not a regular reader of this blog.  Nor do I necessarily condone spending a lot of time blogging. 


All I know is that one minute I’m watching the new Suicide Squad movie and I hear a clip of “Can’t Sleep” by K. Flay, and the next thing I know it’s an hour later and I’m waaaaay down a rabbit hole of deep, DEEP cuts from K. Flay on YouTube.  And I just gotta shout it from the mountaintop because this song is too good not to.


I don’t know much about K.Flay.  The only thing I need to know is that she has one PERFECT song. 


“Can’t Sleep” captures millennial addiction, recklessness, and IDGAF-ness better than anything I’ve heard since Kid Cudi’s also-perfect “Pursuit of Happiness.” 


THANK ME LATER!


*     *     *     *     *


I know exactly what our anonymous friend is talking about, because I too have had the experience of hearing a stick-of-dynamite song in a movie soundtrack and becoming instantly obsessed with said song . . . and it’s happened more than once.


It may have been a song I knew but hadn’t heard in  years – as with Nilsson’s “Jump Into the Fire” (which was used to very good effect in Goodfellas) or “I Wanna Be Your Dog” by the Stooges (which was the perfect choice of music to accompany the pivotal scene in Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels).


Or it may have been a record I’d never heard before but now can’t imagine living without – like Plastic Bertrand’s “Ça Plane Pour Moi” (the highlight of the very strong soundtrack of The Wolf of Wall Street) or Massive Attack’s “Angel” (which was prominently featured in Snatch).


*     *     *     *     *


The Suicide Squad is a “DC Extended Universe” movie that was released last week.  Here’s what the Washington Post had to say about it:


Expect intense blood and gore (bodies are slashed, blown apart, etc.), lots of death, heavy weaponry, brutal fighting, torture, crashes/explosions and more . . . Language is also very strong, with uses of “f–––,” “s–––,” and many more.  Characters have comically energetic sex, wrecking the room and crashing objects to the floor.  Nudity is mostly in the background but includes glimpses of breasts, chests and a penis. . . . Main characters smoke and drink, and a character is seen shooting heroin.


On the plus side, the movie also has “a lot of heart, as well as clear themes of teamwork.”


Sounds like the feel-good family movie of the summer!


*     *     *     *     *


K. Flay – who was born Kristine Meredith Flaherty in a Chicago suburb in 1985, and who attended New Trier High School and Stanford University – released “Can’t Sleep” on her debut album, Life as a Dog, in 2014:


Click here to watch the official music video for “Can’t Sleep,” which features freerunner Jason Paul doing some really bad*ss stuff in Bangkok.


Click on the link below to buy “Can’t Sleep” from Amazon:


No comments:

Post a Comment