Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Beatles – "She's a Woman" (1964)


My love don't give me presents
I know that she's no peasant

(If that’s not the Beatles’ worst rhyme ever, I don’t know what is.)

So are you pleased with your Christmas presents?  Or not so much?

About one-third of Americans will return one or more of the holiday gifts they receive.

Some unwanted gifts represent honest mistakes by gift givers.  But some people have hidden agendas when it comes to choosing gifts.

For example, what about a husband who gives his wife a 65-inch high-definition television for Christmas?  Call me a cynic, but I would wonder whether he bought that big-ass TV because it would enhance his wife’s enjoyment of Real Housewives of Beverly Hills or because the Super Bowl was just around the corner.


Speaking of husbands and wives, a lot of wives buy their husbands clothes for Christmas.  How many of them did that because they believe that their husbands are clueless simpletons who are just as incapable of dressing themselves at age fifty as they were at age five?  (Answer?  ALL of them.)

(Don’t tell me that deep down inside, your husband really wants you to pick out his clothes for him.  Your husband already has one mother – he doesn’t need another one.)


Some gifts are clearly passive-aggressive.  Professor Deborah Cohn, author of Thanks, I Guess: What Consumers Complain About When They Complain About Gifts, heard from one childless woman who said her mother-in-law gave her a home pregnancy test for Christmas.  

Gee, I wonder what the mother-in-law’s point was?

*     *     *     *     * 
“She’s a Woman” was the eleventh Beatles singles to make it into the top ten in 1964.  No other artist or group has had more top ten singles in a calendar year.

The Beatles and their lawyers are assh*les, so I can't give you the Beatles '65 version of “She’s a Woman.”  Instead, here are the Beatles performing “She’s a Woman” live:



Click below to buy the song from Amazon:

1 comment: