Friday, October 31, 2014

Julian Cope -- "You Gotta Problem With Me" (2007)


You gotta problem with me
You gotta problem with me

What do you think?  Do we have an interrogatory sentence here?  Or a declarative sentence?  

Is it "You gotta problem with me?"  

Or is it, "You gotta problem with me!"

You gotta problem with Julian Cope?
Whichever it is, "You Gotta Problem With Me" -- from Julian Cope's 2007 album of the same name -- is the new favorite song of 2 or 3 lines.  

You gotta problem with Travis Bickle?
I've listened to it a zillion times over the last week, and I still haven't gotten enough of it.  That's why I'm featuring it in today's very special post -- the last post of the first five years of 2 or 3 lines. 

That's right, boys and girls.  November 1 marks the 5th anniversary of my wildly popular little blog.  Can you believe it?

You gotta a problem with Barry Obama?
The second-best thing about doing 2 or 3 lines the past five years is that I've discovered dozens of wonderful recordings (like this one) and recording artists (like Julian Cope) that I had somehow overlooked.  (The first-best thing about doing 2 or 3 lines is all the fabulous babes.)

You gotta problem with Wendy O. Williams?
I vaguely remember Julian Cope's neo-psychedelic Liverpool band, Teardrop Explodes, which was founded in 1978 and broke up in 1982.

(I can't resist reprinting Cope's response when he was asked in 2000 if the Teardrop Explodes would ever get back together: "Would you ever return to having your mother wipe your assh*le?")

You gotta problem with Vincent and Jules?
And I was very familiar with Julian Cope's cheery little 1986 single, "World Shut Your Mouth." 

But he had dropped off my radar until quite recently.  It turns out that he's released 20 or so albums since Teardrop Explodes exploded.

You gotta problem with Mama June?
The half-dozen or so of those albums that I've become familiar with in the last couple of months -- thank you, Freegal! -- are all very interesting and all like nothing you've ever heard before.

You gotta problem with Kim's ass?
Click here to read more about Julian Cope, who is something of a Renaissance man.


In addition to being a prolific and talented recording artist, Cope is involved in outsider politics -- no one I know is more outsider than he is -- considers himself a shaman, is a fan of Krautrock musicians, and is an acknowledged expert on Neolithic and Bronze Age archeological sites.  (Think Stonehenge, Avebury, etc.)

Here's "You Gotta Problem With Me":



Click below to buy the song from Amazon:

No comments:

Post a Comment