Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Eric Prydz -- "Call On Me" (2004)



Call on meeeeeee
Call on me
Call on meeeeee
Call on me
I'm the same boy I used to be


I'm going to wake up in the morning overwhelmed by feelings of remorse about this post.  But I just can't stop myself.  I have an irresistible urge, and there's no immovable object (e.g., my wife) to stop me.

We'll keep this short.  Eric Prydz is the Swedish DJ/producer responsible for "Call On Me," a 2004 dance music track based on a sample of Steve Winwood's 1982 single, "Valerie."

Here's the "Valerie" video.  (It sucks.  The song sucks, too.  Steve Winwood is one of the all-time greats, but I'm not giving him a pass on this one.)


"Call On Me" was a hugely successful single, especially in Europe – it hit #1 on the singles charts in Australia, Austria, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Norway, Sweden, and the UK.  (It was also #1 on the "Eurochart Hot 100 Singles," which tracks total sales in 15 European countries.)

Wikipedia has this to say about the song:

Call On Me" is partly known for its music video, which features women and one man performing aerobics in a sexually suggestive manner.

Watch the video and tell me if you don't agree that THIS IS PROBABLY THE BIGGEST UNDERSTATEMENT IN THE HISTORY OF UNDERSTATEMENTS.



Tony Blair
The "FemaleFirst" website reported that former British Prime Minister Tony Blair said this about the "Call On Me" video:  "The first time it came on, I nearly fell off my rowing machine."

(That'll happen if you don't have a good two-handed grip on the oars.)

As you can imagine, the "Call On Me" video inspired many parodies:

value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_z9H2fDm2Ws?fs=1&hl=en_US">



Here's a much longer parody:



I don't think this one is intended to be funny:



Here's an instructional video featuring Deanne Berry (the Australian dancer who appears in the original "Call on Me" video), which will teach you how to do the same moves she did:

 


Finally, here's the famous Jamie Lee Curtis-John Travolta aerobics workout scene from the 1985 movie, Perfect, set to "Call On Me":
 


Here's a link you can use to order "Call On Me" from iTunes:

Call On Me (Radio Edit) - Call On Me - EP


Here's a link you can use to order "Call On Me" from Amazon:




No comments:

Post a Comment