Wednesday, February 7, 2018

School of Fish – "3 Strange Days" (1991)


For three strange days
I had no obligations
My mind was a blur

In 1991, I left my safe, secure job as a government attorney and went to work for the company that produced the “Amazing Discoveries” series of infomercials, which were very popular at the time.

The day after my friends at the government agency where I had worked for 13-plus years gave me a going-away party, I was on a flight from DC to Los Angeles – first class, because that’s the way my new employer rolled – to oversee the production of an infomercial for a speed-reading course.

The next weekend, I went back to L.A. for the production of an infomercial for a liquid fertilizer made from chicken sh*t – I kid you not:



(That product didn’t sell at all.)

*     *     *     *     *

Over the next few years, I spent a lot of time in Los Angeles.  

While I was in my rental car or in my hotel room, I usually listened to the legendary KROQ, an FM radio station that played alternative, grunge, punk, and Britpop music – think  Nirvana, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam, Weezer, Green Day, Oasis, Blur, etc.


I still remember some of the songs that KROQ was playing in 1991: “Rush,” by Big Audio Dynamite . . . “Valerie Loves Me,” by Material Issue . . . “Unbelievable,” by EMF . . . “Right Here, Right Now,” by Jesus Jones . . . “Kiss Them for Me,” by Siouxsie & the Banshees . . . and today’s featured song, “3 Strange Days,” by School of Fish.

*     *     *     *     *

School of Fish was a Los Angeles band that recorded two albums in the early 1990s, then broke up when neither of those albums sold.


But “3 Strange Days” – which was released on the eponymous first School of Fish album – is a silly song, and an appropriate follow-up to yesterday’s featured song, Faron Young’s “Three Days.”  Here it is:



Click below to buy the song from Amazon:

No comments:

Post a Comment