Sunday, February 6, 2011

Black Eyed Peas -- "The Time (Dirty Bit)" (2010)



‘Cause I’m!
Havin’!
A good! 
Time! 
With you! . . .
Dirty bit!

I'm hopeful that Super Bowl XLV is going to be a really exciting game, but let's be honest: the odds are that it will pale in comparison to the Canadian Football League's 93rd Grey Cup back in 2005.

Surely you remember that dramatic contest.  Whoa Nelly, was that a real barnburner or what?

The Edmonton Eskimos edged the Montreal Alouettes, 38-35, in the first Grey Cup game to go into overtime in 44 years.  Ex-Sacramento State University QB Ricky Ray completed 35 of 45 pass attempts for 359 yards for Edmonton and was named the MVP.  

2005 Grey Cup MVP Ricky Ray
hoists the championship trophy

Mike Maurer, the Eskimos' backup fullback and special teams stalwart, came off the bench to catch four passes for 41 yards, and was rewarded for his astonishing performance by being named the game's MVC (Most Valuable Canadian).

The 93rd Grey Cup will also be long remembered for the halftime performance of hip-hop superstars, the Black Eyed Peas.  So it is no coincidence that the self-same Black Eyed Peas will take the stage during the halftime extravaganza at the Super Bowl XLV later today.

The Black Eyed Peas

I think this was a VERY good idea.  This isn't an old-timers' game -- so why have a bunch of 60-something rockers doing the halftime show?  

Don't get me wrong.  I would have loved to have seen the Who or the Rolling Stones play at, say, Super Bowl VIII at Rice Stadium in Houston in 1974.  (The actual halftime show at Super Bowl VIII featured the University of Texas "Longhorn Band" and Miss Texas 1973, who played the fiddle.)  But the NFL was 30-odd years late when they finally invited those bands to the party.

Speaking of the Rolling Stones, this song includes the following lyrics:

All these girls, they like my swagger
They callin’ me Mick Jagger
I be rolling like a stone
Jet-setter, jet-lagger

One of Ke$ha's recent hits also mentions Mick Jagger:
Now, the dudes are lining up 
'Cause they hear we got swagger
But we kick em to the curb 
Unless they look like Mick Jagger

Ke$ha is not quite 24 years old.  Mick Jagger is 67!  Does Ke$ha really want guys who "look like Mick Jagger"?  Has she seen Mick recently?
Mick Jagger circa 2010

Why all the Jagger idolatry all of a sudden?  Is Mick paying these performers off?

The Black Eyed Peas are about as happenin' as we can hope the NFL to go for.  Maybe someday we'll have Lil Wayne or Kanye West or T.I. or Gucci Mane take the stage at a Super Bowl halftime.  But I wouldn't be holding my breath if I were you.

I don't know the set list for the halftime show.  I'd like to think it will include "My Humps," but I seriously doubt that it will.

"My Humps" includes the following conversation between the Peas' Will.i.am (he's a boy) and Fergie (she's a girl):

(Will.i.am:)
What you gonna do with all that junk?
All that junk inside that trunk?
(Fergie:)
I'll get, get, get, get you drunk,
Get you love drunk off my hump.
(Will.i.am:)
What you gonna do with all that ass?
All that ass inside them jeans?
(Fergie:)
I'm gonna make, make, make you scream,
Make you scream, make you scream.
(Will.i.am:)
What you gonna do with all that breast?
All that breast inside that shirt?
(Fergie:)
I'll make, make, make, make you work
Make you work, work, make you work.
My hump, my hump, my hump, my hump,
My hump, my hump, my hump, my hump, 
My lovely lady lumps
My lovely lady lumps
My lovely lady lumps
In the back and in the front


Here's the "My Humps" video:




But I can't imagine that the Super Bowl XLV show won't include "The Time (Dirty Bit)," which is the group's most recent hit single.  Expect some crazy costumes and special effects if they do perform it at the big game.

Here's the official music video for this song, which has been viewed over 54 million times to date:




Here's a link you can use to order the song from iTunes:

The Time (Dirty Bit) - The Beginning (Deluxe Version)


Here's a link you can use if you prefer Amazon:


No comments:

Post a Comment