Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Crazy Elephant – "Gimme Gimme Good Lovin'" (1969)


To the girls in 'Frisco
To the girls in New York
To the girls in Texarkana
You gotta understand
Baby, I'm your man!

I once lived in San Francisco, and I've spent a fair amount of time in New York City, and I wouldn't hesitate to tell any woman from either place, BABY, I'M YOUR MAN!

I've never been to Texarkana.  But if you're a girl from that fine city, you can best believe that BABY, I'M YOUR MAN, TOO!


I've always loved "Gimme Gimme Good Lovin'," and I was thrilled when it popped up on my rental car's satellite radio while I was driving on Cape Cod a couple of weeks ago:


It's a glass-half-full song. . . maybe even a glass-three-quarters-full song. . . and an incurable optimist like me will always pick a song like "Gimme Gimme Good Lovin'" over a glass-half-empty song like this one:


I heard Crazy Elephant's one and only hit single – which topped out at #12 in both the U.S. and the UK in 1969 – while I was on my way to the Historical Society of Old Yarmouth's trails for a walk with my dog, Lily:


The society is headquartered in this building, which once housed Benjamin Gorham's cobbler shop:


The Kelley Chapel (originally built in 1873) and an old blacksmith's barn stand at the beginning of the main trail.  Both buildings were moved here from elsewhere to preserve them:


The trail circles Miller Pond, which is good-sized:


Part of the trail comes close to the old Cape Cod Railroad's tracks, which once ran from Boston to Provincetown.  The Boston-to-Hyannis portion of the line is still used by commuter and excursion trains.  Further east, the tracks were torn up and the right-of-way converted to a paved hiker-biker trail.  But this stretch of the old tracks just sit there:


I almost walked by a large patch of lilies of the valley, but I noticed the wonderful fragrance emitted by those lovely flowers just in time:


There were plenty of buttercups on the trail, too:


In the late sixties, producers Jerry Kasenatz and Jerry Katz formed Super K Productions and released records by "bubble-gum" groups like the Ohio Express, 1910 Fruitgum Company, the Music Explosion, the Kasenetz-Katz Singing Orchestral Chorus, and Crazy Elephant.  (Less successful Kasenetz-Katz group included Flying Giraffe, Lt. Garcia's Magic Music Box, J.C.W. Ratfinks, and the Rock & Roll Dubble Bubble Trading Card Company of Philadelphia 1941.)  


Like some of the other Kasenetz-Katz groups, Crazy Elephants wasn't a real band, but rather a brand name used to release records by an ever-changing group of studio musicians.  (The lead singer on another Crazy Elephant single was Kevin Godley, who later achieved fame as a member of 10cc.)

Here's "Gimme Gimme Good Lovin'":



Click below to buy the song from Amazon:

No comments:

Post a Comment