Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Chuck Berry -- "I'm Talking About You" (1961)


I'm talkin' 'bout you
I do mean you
Nobody but you

In the very first post I ever wrote for this wildly popular blog -- an introduction of sorts titled "What? Who? Why?" -- I said that 2 or 3 lines "is more about the music than it is about me."  Which is a very big lie, if not the BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD.

2 or 3 lines is MUCH more about me than it is about the music.  But today's post is going to be different.  Today's 2 or 3 lines is going to be all about YOU!

Let's get started with some basic background info -- what's your height, weight, eye color, hair color, age, marital status, religion, and political affiliation?  Hearing and vision normal?  Any scars or tattoos?  Also, what's your Social Security number?  (I'm only asking for your protection.)


Now tell us a little about yourself -- where you grew up, where you live now, what kind of work you do . . . the usual stuff.

Do you have children?  If so, which one of them is your favorite?  (Oh, come on . . . of course you have a favorite.  No one likes all his or her children just the same.)

What do you want from life?  An Indian guru to show you the inner light?  A meaningless love affair with that girl you met tonight?  To get cable TV and watch it every night?  Something else?

What do you wear when you're sleeping?  And what are you wearing right now?  

What in the world is in that bag?  What you got in that bag?

This is a music blog, so let's turn our attention to music for a moment.  What kind of music did you listen to in high school?  What kind of music do you listen to today?  How about a "desert island" list -- give us five albums you'd want to have with you if you were stranded on a desert island?

Finally, where's the weirdest place you've ever gotten the urge to make whoopee?  



Let's stop there for a moment and think about your answers.  How interesting are they?  Can you truthfully say that your answers are compelling enough that others will want to read them?  

Most importantly, is stuff about you more interesting than the stuff I write about me?  Be honest -- really, really honest. . . .

I didn't think so.  But don't feel bad.  Most people are like you -- not that interesting.  Certainly not interesting enough to be the heart and soul of a wildly popular blog.

But I am that interesting.  As a very wise man once said about me, "He's got it, he was born with it, and he washes it twice a day."  (Exactly!)

"I'm Talking About You" was released by Chuck Berry in 1961.  The Rolling Stones covered the song (which they titled "Talkin' 'Bout You") on their 1965 December's Children album, and that's the version I know the best.  The Hollies, Beatles, Yardbirds, Hot Tuna, and Delbert McClinton are among those who have also covered it.

Here's "I'm Talking About You":



Click below to order the song from Amazon:

No comments:

Post a Comment