Saturday, August 20, 2011

Little Feat -- "Fat Man in the Bathtub" (1973)


I put my money in your meter, baby 
So it won't run down, 
But you got me in a squeeze play 
On the cheesey side of town. 
Throw me a line, 
Show me a sign 
'Cause there's a fat man in the bathtub 
With the blues 
I wasn't planning to post about two Little Feat songs until I noticed a billboard in the subway station nearest my office recently.

The billboard was one of a number that advertised Living Social, which is a "deal-of-the-day" service that e-mails discount coupons to some 40 million people a day.  (Most of their offers seems to involve reduced-price massages, yoga classes, weekday comedy club tickets, and meals at restaurants that no one wants to eat at.)

A typical Living Social ad
Each of the billboards presented some obscure and mildly amusing fact -- like the fact that a quarter has 119 grooves in its edge.  The one that inspired this post noted that President William Howard Taft -- who is believed to have weighed as much as 335 pounds -- got stuck in the White House bathtub on his inauguration day, and had to be pulled out by servants.  (He had a larger tub installed shortly thereafter.)

This song came in a close second to "The Fan" when I was mulling over which Little Feat song I was going to feature on 2 or 3 lines as part of my "Records I Listened to in Law School" series.  Once I saw that billboard, I knew I had to do both songs.

(Taft's the fat one)
Here's a live performance of "Fat Man in the Bathtub."  (Lowell George has no clue where that first note was, did he?)


Here's a link you can use to buy the song from Amazon:

1 comment:

  1. I haven’t listened to Little Feat in ages but for some reason they popped into my YouTube feed. Then I went to google, asking whether this song was inspired by President Taft. This post came up. Random.

    ReplyDelete