Friday, October 28, 2011

Red Hot Chili Peppers -- "Suck My Kiss" (1991)


K-I-S-S-I-N-G
Chicka chicka dee
Do me like a banshee!

When I made out my 1991 Christmas wish list, I asked for a compact disc player.  CD players had first appeared in the United States in 1983, and had become relatively common by 1991.  

I'm not what you would call an early adopter by temperament.  Plus I had about a zillion LPs.  But eventually even I could read the handwriting on the wall – CDs were here to stay.  

Here's a picture of the JVC XL-V241 compact disc player I was given as a Christmas gift in 1991:

I was also given two CDs.  One was the digital version of the Beach Boys' 1966 album, Pet Sounds – the greatest pop album ever recorded.

The other CD on my Christmas list that year was Blood Sugar Sex Magik, the fifth studio album by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, which had been released a few months earlier:

I didn't know it at the time, but the album's producer was hip-hop pioneer, Rick Rubin, who not only produced a number of notable rap and rock albums, but also Johnny Cash's late albums.

*     *     *     *     *

I asked for Blood Sugar Sex Magik primarily because I thought "Give It Away" – the first single from that album – was silly!  It was a unique song – just as intense and heavy as Rage Against The Machine's music, but much catchier.  (It doesn't pound you into submission like a RATM song does.)

Blood Sugar Sex Magic wasn't a one-trick pony.  The next single, "Under the Bridge," had a completely different sound, as did the very underrated "Breaking the Girl" – it's 6/8 time signature gave it an irresistible rhythmic momentum.

But there can be no doubt that the ultimate kick-ass song on this album is "Suck My Kiss."  I can't think of a more in-your-face song.  It's loud and relentess, but also playful.  I'm guessing Beavis and Butthead loved it.


*     *     *     *     *

By the way, this is 250th 2 or 3 lines post.  At our current pace, we'll get to the 500th post in 2013 and the 1000th in 2016.   

Click here to watch the official music video for "Suck My Kiss."  (Man, these dudes have a lot of tattoos. 

Here's a link you can use to buy the song from Amazon:

No comments:

Post a Comment