Saturday, May 22, 2010

Holly and the Italians -- "Youth Coup" (1981)


I'm bored with everything that I see
I'm bored with you and you with me
I can't get a job, I can't advance . . .
There's gonna be a youth coup
'Cause it's time for something new
Even though I'm almost 58 years old, rock music is still VERY important to me.  But it  bothers me to see bands still touring when their members are my age or older.

Rock music performers should be young and they should be pissed off at their parents or adults in general.  In "My Generation," the Who famously sang "Hope I die before I get old" -- but they didn't.  (Except for Keith Moon, of course, whose drumming on "I Can See For Miles" is without a doubt the greatest performance by a rock drummer ever.)  Any true fan of the Who who saw their travesty of a performance at halftime of the 2010 Super Bowl had to feel like it would have been better if they had. 

"Youth Coup" is hardly "My Generation" circa 1981.  But at least Holly Vincent of Holly and the Italians had a little bit of an attitude.  

This short-lived band is better known for "Tell That Girl to Shut Up," the single that led to their getting an album deal.  But "Youth Coup" is a great little rock anthem.  And like the songs discussed in my last few posts, I discovered it thanks to the "Mystic Eye" radio show.

Here's the album version of "Youth Coup":




Here's a video of the band performing the song live:




As a special bonus, here's "Tell That Girl to Shut Up": 




But wait, there's more!  Here's the video of Transvision Vamp's 1988 version of that song:




To order an MP3 of "Youth Coup" for your very own, click here:

1 comment:

  1. Tell That Boy To Shut Up...

    http://drybaby1.blogspot.com/2008/03/right-to-be-italianholly-italians.html

    March 2008..

    See ya

    D R Y B A B Y

    ReplyDelete